Widnes 14-35 York

York battle past Vikings


York City Knights rallied in the second-half to take the two points at the DCBL Stadium, running out 35-14 winners over Widnes Vikings.

The visitors posted the first points of the afternoon inside the first 10 minutes as Sam Scott crossed on York’s left edge, after collecting an offload close to the line and muscling over.

The Knights continued the press the Vikings line, but despite the pressure, could only add two points through the boot of Kieran Dixon from a penalty.

Widnes responded to this superbly, and thought they had got their first try of the game as Danny Craven touched down from a Shane Grady pat-back, but the referee ruled it had gone forward.

The Vikings didn’t have to wait long to get on the board however, as Adam Lawton powered onto a Joe Lyons pass and wasn’t to be stopped. With Ste Tyrer’s conversion, the visitor’s lead was cut to two.

Simon Finnigan’s side continued in the ascendancy following the try, and almost posted more points minutes later as Jayden Hatton was freed into space after good work from Jack Owens, but two York defenders held the winger up over the line.

This didn’t deter the Vikings, and an outstanding length of the field effort put the hosts in front. Enterprising play from Jake Spedding released Owens into space from inside the Vikings’ 20, and the full back was eventually brought down inside York’s 20.

On the next play, Joe Lyons was quick to feed the onrushing Deon Cross, and the winger touched down close to the sticks. Tyrer converted again, and the Vikings lead for the first time in the game.

The only other action of the first half came from the boot of Ste Tyrer from a penalty, meaning Widnes carried a six point lead at half-time.

York started the second half the stronger of the two sides, and got themselves back on level terms as Ben Jones-Bishop stepped inside the Danny Craven tackle and beat Owens to touch down.

The game moved into a grind for the next 15 minutes, with both sides matching the other and trying to put themselves in front on the scoreboard. It was the Knights who eventually did that as Danny Washbrook went over on their left edge after an offload from Scott in the tackle.

With the lead back in their favour, James Ford’s men gained control and added further points as Mikey Lewis chipped over the top for himself and touched down before the dead ball line.

Further points were added by the Knights as Dixon added another penalty goal to push their lead to 14 points.

York added a drop goal from Riley Dean, before a try on the hooter from Mikey Lewis again, on the back of a Dixon break, to claim the two points at the DCBL Stadium.

Widnes Vikings: Jack Owens, Deon Cross, Jake Spedding, Ste Tyrer, Jayden Hatton, Danny Craven, Joe Lyons, Matt Cook, Brad O’Neill, Kenny Baker, Shane Grady, Ellis Robson, Matty Smith

Interchanges: Will Tilleke, Joe Edge, Adam Lawton, Dan Hill

Tries: Lawton, Cross    Goals: Tyrer 3/3

York City Knights: Mikey Lewis, Ben Jones-Bishop, Liam Salter, Ryan Atkins, Kieran Dixon, Matty Marsh, Riley Dean, James Green, Will Jubb, Marcus Stock, James McDonnell, Sam Scott, Chris Clarkson.

Interchanges: Danny Washbrook, Jordan Baldwinson, Adam Cuthbertson, Joe Porter.

Tries: Scott, Jones-Bishop, Washbrook, Lewis (2)   Goals: Dixon 7/7    Drop Goals: Dean


# Player Position TRY CON PEN DG
11. Jack OwensFullback0000
44. Ste TyrerCentre0300
33. Jake SpeddingCentre0000
66. Danny CravenHalfback0000
1714. Joe LyonsHalfback0000
1313. Kenny BakerProp0000
1110. Shane GradySecond-row0000
77. Matty SmithLoose Forward0000
1212. Adam LawtonInterchange, Second-row1000
2423. Will TillekeInterchange, Prop0000
 Total 1300