Huddersfield U16s 28-32 Widnes U16s

Huddersfield U16s 28-32 Widnes U16s

11th April 2019

Widnes Vikings U16s produced a stunning comeback from 24-0 down to win 32-28 against Huddersfield Giants U16s in Yorkshire on Wednesday evening. 

The home side started strongly and scored with their opening set of the game through Arian Woods. The half back collected an offload within Widnes’ 20 metres and was able to dart over from close range. Will Pryce missed the conversion.

Five minutes later, and it was 10-0 as Will Pryce crossed the whitewash. The Giants moved to ball to their right edge, and Pryce was able to break the defensive line to score. Pryce converted his own try. 

The constant pressure from the home side on Widnes’ line was unrelenting, and Huddersfield made it three scores inside the opening 10 minutes as Max Hindle touched down. The back rower was able to break the tackle of a Widnes defender and muscle his way over the try line. Will Pryce missed the conversion. 

The Vikings thought they had their way back into the contest just before the 20 minute mark as Andrew Biddle darted over in a trademark move from dummy half, but the hooker was disallowed the try as the touch judge ruled he knocked on in the act of scoring. 

This was compounded two minutes later as the Giants extended their lead through Connor Carr. Ryan Barnes lost the ball in contact, allowing Joseph Robinson to pick up and ran down-field. The winger drew in the re-treating Bennison before passing on to Carr to go over untouched. With Pryce’s conversion, the score moved to 20-0.

The Giants final score of the first half came through Solomon Tutin on the 24 minute mark. The home side ran with the ball on the last tackle down their left edge through Marcus Garley, and the back-rower broke a tackler, offloaded to Tutin and he was able to touch down. Pryce missed the touchline conversion. 

Following this try, the Vikings sparked into life and the remainder of the half was dominated by the away side. They posted their first points of the evening through Michael Cosgrove on the left edge. 

From Tutin’s try, Jon Bennison’s superb kick-off forced the error to put Widnes into position. From the resulting scrum play, Ryan Barnes gave Cosgrove a walk-in at the corner after a nice set-play on the full-back’s inside. James Murray missed the touchline conversion.

With the last play of the half, the Vikings reduced the deficit even further as forward Dan Brewin finished a nicely worked try with Jon Bennison at the heart of it. The loose forward half broke a tackle to offload to the supporting Ryan Barnes. The Vikings full back drew in Pryce and gave Brewin a 20-metre dash to the try-line for a much needed score. James Murray converted the try and gave the Vikings a glimmer of hope going into the second half. 

Half-Time: Huddersfield Giants U16s 24-10 Widnes Vikings U16s

With the words from Head Coach, Ryan O’Brien, still ringing in their ears at half-time, the Vikings started superbly in the second half with both intent and desire. This was rewarded with a try within the first five minutes through centre Leighton Hesketh. The ball was moved by the Vikings to their left edge, and Hesketh was able to step his way inside to go over close to the sticks. James Murray converted the try. 

Nine minutes later, and the Vikings were over again as Callum Martin touched down in the left corner. A penalty put the away side into position, and a nicely weighted grubber kick from James Murray into the in-goal ended with Martin finishing nicely. Murray missed the conversion, but Widnes had made it a 4-point ball game at 24-20. 

60 minutes on the clock, and Jon Bennison grabbed his first of the evening with a dart over from dummy half. Andrew Biddle put the Vikings into position with a drive from hooker, and with his quick play-the-ball, Bennison picked up and muscled his way over the try-line. James Murray converted the try, and the Vikings had the lead for the first time in the game after scoring 26 unanswered points. 

Huddersfield rallied to the Widnes comeback, and re-took the lead five minutes later as Kieran Rush scored. The hooker, like Bennison before him, darted out from dummy half and stepped his way over the line on his right edge. Will Pryce missed the conversion, meaning they now had a two-point lead at 28-26.

This score from the home side did not deter the young Vikings, and they applied more pressure on the Huddersfield line with early kicks in their sets down-field to turn round the Giants and apply pressure on their opponents. 

On the back of this, the Vikings thought they had posted another score as Jon Bennison got on the end of a loose ball to go over, but was pulled back and disallowed as he was ruled offside from the ricochet from a Widnes attacker.

But Bennison, who was one of the many standouts for Widnes on the night, was not to be denied and grabbed his second of the night two minutes later. The loose forward collected the ball from Biddle, dummied at the defence brilliantly to break the line and go over under the sticks. James Murray converted, and the Vikings had a four point lead to hang on to for the final ten minutes at 28-32. 

The Giants tried to get themselves back in front with some dangerous field position, but the Vikings stood strong in defence and held on to finish their stunning comeback and claim their first win of 2019. 

Full-Time: Huddersfield Giants U16s 28-32 Widnes Vikings U16s

Huddersfield Giants: Will Pryce, Andrew Hartshorne, Connor Carr, Solomon Tutin, Joseph Robinson, Stan Kilburn, Arian Woods, Nathan Rushworth, Kieran Rush, Benjamin Killan, Max Hindle, Marcus Marley, Fenton Rogers. Subs - George Collins, Ethane Wainwright, Tre Webster, Joshua Rhodes, Ethan Lyne, Ben Dean, Joseph Howe. 

Widnes Vikings: Ryan Barnes, Tyler Pilling, Harry Parkinson, Leighton Hesketh, Michael Cosgrove, Kieran Tyrer, James Murray, James Whalley, Andrew Biddle, Ryan Lockett, Josh Robinson, Reece McConville, Jon Bennison. Subs - Leon Molyneaux, Callum Martin, Joseph Murphy, Sam Goldthorpe, Dan Brewin. 

Huddersfield U16s 28-32 Widnes U16s