Hull KR 30-0 Widnes Vikings

Hull KR 30-0 Widnes Vikings

30th September 2018

Widnes Vikings were beaten 30-0 in their final game of the 2018 season against Hull Kingston Rovers.

The home side started strongly, and thought they had the opening score of the afternoon as Joel Tomkins looked to have crossed the whitewash, but the back-rower knocked on in the act of scoring. 

Pressure was made to count shortly after this as James Greenwood crossed for the opening try on eight minutes. The home side shifted the ball to their left edge, and Greenwood hit a short, flat pass to go over untouched. Craig Hall converted the try.

The home side extended their lead as Ben Crooks touched down on the 17-minute mark. Chris Clarkson almost broke the line on the tackle before but was brought down by White. McGuire went to the air on the next play, and Crooks plucked it from the air to touch down. Craig Hall converted the try.

Hull Kingston Rovers stretched the lead further for the home side from the boot of Craig Hall as Chris Dean held on to the attacker too long under the sticks. 

The last score of the half came three minutes before the break as Chris Atkin touched down. Danny McGuire made the initial break down the middle, drew in Hanbury at full-back, and offloaded to the supporting Atkin to go over under the sticks. Craig Hall converted the try to give the home side a 20-0 advantage at the break.

Half-Time: Hull KR 20-0 Widnes Vikings

The start of the second half was a scrappy affair, with both sides coming up with errors as they tried to add to the scoreboard. 

The Vikings did have half chances early in the second half to score their opening try of the afternoon through Hanbury and Whitley but those chances were spurned, and Rovers took advantage. 

With 57 minutes on the clock, Junior Vaivai crossed for the next score for Rovers. The home side created a 3-on-1 overlap on their left edge, and Atkin drew in Buckley for Vaivai to walk over and touch down. Craig Hall missed the conversion. 

Hall was then successful with the boot from a penalty conversion five minutes later, to stretch the home side’s lead to 26 points.

Craig Hall then increased his, and Rovers’, tally with an acrobatic finish in the corner. Tim Sheens’ side moved the ball to their left edge, and Atkin fed Hall to get over in the corner. Hall missed the touchline conversion but Rovers held on for the win to secure their Super League status.


Hull KR: Chris Atkin, Craig Hall, Ben Crooks, Junior Vaivai, Will Oakes, Todd Carney, Danny McGuire, Mose Masoe, Tommy Lee, Nick Scruton, James Greenwood, Joel Tomkins, Chris Clarkson. Subs - Robbie Mulhern, Maurice Blair, Ben Kavanagh, Danny Tickle.

Widnes Vikings: Rhys Hanbury, Owen Buckley, Keanan Brand, Charly Runciman, Stefan Marsh, Joe Lyons, Tom Gilmore, Chris Houston, Lloyd White, Harrison Hansen, Matt Whitley, Chris Dean, MacGraff Leuluai. Subs - Aaron Heremaia, Sam Wilde, Ted Chapelhow, Jay Chapelhow.

Hull KR 30-0 Widnes Vikings