ACADEMY: Widnes 28-24 Warrington

ACADEMY: Widnes 28-24 Warrington

10th September 2018

In a pulsating Derby clash, Widnes Vikings U19s turned around a 16 point deficit to win their final home game of the season against Warrington Wolves 28-24. 

The game started in a torrential downpour and both teams, not surprisingly, struggled to keep hold of the ball. 

After nine minutes, a Warrington knock on deep in their own half saw them surrender possession, and Widnes moved the ball quickly out to Olly Brookes who scored in the corner. However, the lead didn't last long as a Widnes error was similarly punished as a Joe Edge try followed by a Riley Dean conversion made it 4-6 to the visitors.

The rain eventually ceased and Warrington took full advantage. A Dean break resulted in a try for Ellis Robson and after the Widnes restart ended up going out on the full, Warrington scored another try when Cole Oakley went over. Dean converted both tries and just before the break kicked a penalty to give his side a deserved 4-20 advantage.

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings U19s 4-20 Warrington Wolves U19s 

Widnes certainly needed a big 40 minutes if they were going to turn the game around and they started the second half positively. 

A sweeping move, from inside their own half, saw Calum O'Neill go under the posts and his try was converted by Sam Freeman.

This gave the home side the impetus they needed and the next score wasn't long in coming. Brad Calland received a pass just inside his own half and showed remarkable pace to leave the Warrington defence in his wake. Another Freeman conversion and suddenly it was 16-20.

The error strewn performance of the first half had been replaced with a more composed, assured attitude and Widnes began to move the ball confidently. But Warrington had no intention of lying down and a stray pass was intercepted by Joe Edge and the winger raced in from half way.  

This didn't stop the Widnes fightback though and they forced an error from the restart through Owen Farnworth. A couple of tackles later, having regained possession, Farnworth muscled his way over for his side's fourth try. Freeman made it 22-24 with the conversion and an exciting last 20 minutes was in store.

Owen Farnworth was held up over the line and then he produced a boneshaker of a tackle on Jacob Chamberlain which dislodged the ball to give Widnes possession.  A few minutes later, Olly Brookes was diving in at the corner to grab his second try and put his side 26-24 up.  

A late tackle on Ben Davies resulted in a penalty 30 metres out and Freeman added the two points. No matter how hard Warrington tried to get back into the game, they couldn't break a solid defensive line and the final whistle was greeted with a mixture of joy and relief from the Widnes team and supporters as they celebrated a great derby win.

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings U19s 28-24 Warrington Wolves U19s 


Widnes Vikings

Lloyd Roby, Sam Freeman, Jayden Hatton, Keanan Brand, Oliver Brookes, Ben Davies, Chris Wilson, Owen Farnworth, Jake Burns, Calum O'Neill, Sam Walters, Jordan Brown, Jarrod O'Connor. SUBS:  Brad Calland, James Rutledge, Liam Walsh, Will Tilleke.

Tries:   Brookes 2, Calland, Farnworth, O'Neill.

Goals:  Freeman 4/6


Warrington Wolves

Jamie Abram, Lewis Hall, Nathan Roebuck, Cole Oakley, Joe Edge, Dean Riley, Elliot Windley, Jacob Chamberlain, Anglin Padraig, Jack Wright, Tayler Brown, Ellis Robson, Luis Johnson. SUBS:  Liam Brinksman, Henry Collins, Matthew Heritage, Daniel Harper.

Tries:  Anglin, Edge, Oakley, Robson.

Goals:  Dean 4/4


HT   4-20

FT    28-24

Pens  8-5

ACADEMY: Widnes 28-24 Warrington