Huddersfield Giants 28-18 Widnes Vikings

Huddersfield Giants 28-18 Widnes Vikings

4th May 2018

Widnes Vikings were beaten 28-18 by Huddersfield Giants at the John Smith’s Stadium on Friday night.

Denis Betts’ side threatened to open the scoring early at the John Smith’s Stadium, and forced a couple of goal line drop outs from Gilmore kicks, but they ultimately came to nothing. 

This proved to be costly, as the home side took the lead shortly after as Jake Wardle climbed highest to touch down. A high shot put the Giants into attacking position, and Jordan Rankin’s cross field kick was taken well out of the air by the centre, and he was able to get the ball down. Sam Wood missed the conversion. 

Huddersfield threatened to extend their lead ten minutes later, as Jake Mamo was put into space on the back of a Sam Wood offload, but a superb cover tackle from Rhys Hanbury stopped him in his tracks and forced him into touch. 

This play from Hanbury proved vital, as a couple of minutes later, the Vikings crossed for their only try of the first half as Danny Craven touched down. The half back collected a pass out the back, and he was able to evade a couple of tacklers to touch down. Tom Gilmore added the extras to edge the Vikings in front.

The home side rallied, however, and took a lead into the break as their other centre, Sam Wood, touched down seven minutes before the end of the first half. Rankin gave Wood an early pass, and he was able to fend off Charly Runciman and muscle over from close range. Wood converted his own try from the touchline.

The Vikings almost went into dressing room level, though, with the hooter sounding in the background. Good work from Ah Van and Whitley kept the ball alive, but Gilmore’s kick out to Ince, who had open space and a try looking likely, bounced wrong for the winger and the ball agonisingly went into touch to keep the home side in front at half time.

Half-Time: Huddersfield Giants 10-6 Widnes Vikings

The Giants started the second half strongly, and extended their lead just four minutes into it as Jake Wardle grabbed his second of the night. Just like his try in the first half, Wardle was able to take a high cross-field kick under pressure from Ince and touched down. Sam Wood converted the try.

Huddersfield almost extended their lead further when Kruise Leeming broke through the defence, but an unbelievable tackle from Ryan Ince just mertres from the try line halted him in his tracks for a turnover. 

Denis Betts’ side responded, and got themselves back in the game as Ryan Ince scored acrobatically in the corner. Heremaia went down the short right edge, flicked the ball out to Ince, and Ryan was able to step and dive over outstandingly well to reduce the deficit. Tom Gilmore converted superbly from the touchline. 

The Giants restored their two score lead on the 60 minute mark when Ukuma Ta’ai spun nicely in the tackle to stretch out and muscle over. Sam Wood added the extras to stretch their lead to 10. 

A lifeline was handed to the Vikings five minutes later, when debutant Jake Wardle was sent to the sin bin for a dangerous tackle on Rhys Hanbury, and the away side made them pay. Greg Burke went close on the tackle before, and then the ball was given to Tom Gilmore who darted over after a gap in the Giants’ defence appeared. Gilmore converted his own try to reduce the deficit to just four points. 

Despite pressure on the home side’s line, the Giants scored the final try of the night as Alex Mellor crossed with seven minutes remaining, and handed them a vital two points in the Betfred Super League.

Full-Time: Huddersfield Giants 28-18 Widnes Vikings 

Huddersfield: Rankin, McIntosh, Wood, Wardle, Mamo, Turner, Russell, Ikahihifo, O’Brien, Clough, Mellor, Ta’ai, Hinchcliffe. Subs - Leeming, Lawrence, Smith, English.

Widnes - Hanbury, Ince, Keinhorst, Runciman, Ah Van, Gilmore, Craven, Gerrard, White, Burke, Whitley, Wilde, Olbison. Subs - Leuluai, Cahill, Wellington, Heremaia.

Huddersfield Giants 28-18 Widnes Vikings