Widnes Vikings 16-28 Huddersfield Giants

Widnes Vikings 16-28 Huddersfield Giants widnesvikings.co.uk

9th March 2018

Widnes Vikings were beaten 28-16 by Huddersfield Giants on a rainy Friday night at the Halton Stadium.

The Giants opened the scoring for the night inside the opening five minutes, as Ryan Hinchcliffe touched down close to the sticks. Danny Brough put up a towering bomb which Hanbury could not keep hold of in the wet conditions and bounced into the in-goal, with Hinchcliffe there to touch down. Danny Brough converted the try.

Rick Stone’s side extended their lead five minutes later as Jake Mamo scored. A penalty put the away side into an attacking position and they made the territory count. Danny Brough chip kicked through on the last, the ball looked to be running dead but the full-back just got to the ball and touched down with the dead-ball line lingering.

The Giants continued the game in the ascendency, as the home side struggled to keep hold of the ball in the pouring rain. The boot of Danny Brough was the source of the next points, as he converted a penalty on the 30 minute mark to stretch the lead to 14 points.

The Vikings had an opportunity to reduce the deficit on the hooter after receiving a penalty, but Tom Gilmore could not convert.

Half-Time: Widnes Vikings 0-14 Huddersfield Giants

The away side kick-started with a try on the 50 minute mark as Oliver Roberts touched down. A penalty put the Giants into the Vikings’ half, and the back rower charged onto a short pass and was able to muscle his way over under pressure from two defenders. Brough added the extras with the boot.

The task became even harder for the Vikings when Wellington Albert received a red card with twenty minutes remaining. Two minutes later, and the Giants extended the lead as Jermaine McGillvary scored. The away side created the overlap on their right edge, and Gaskell put McGillvary into space and he got over in the corner.

Denis Betts’ side rallied following the red card, and got their first points of the game as Joe Mellor scored. The half back charged onto a short pass, broke the line and went over untouched. Tom Gilmore added the extras.

On the next set, the Vikings reduced the lead further, as Matt Whitley touched down. A high bomb was dropped by McGillvary, allowing Mellor to re-collect and feed Whitley, and Matt was able to muscle over from close range. Tom Gilmore converted the try.

The fire was taken out of the spirited fightback when Ed Chamberlain dropped the ball from the kick-off. On the following set, the Giants added a penalty goal from Danny Brough to stretch the lead to 14.

Ryan Hinchcliffe was sinbinned shortly after for a tackle on Matt Whitley, and the Vikings scored again as Stefan Marsh got over the line. Denis Betts’ side created the overlap on the right edge and Hanbury fed Marsh and he finished well in the corner. Tom Gilmore couldn’t convert the try.

The only remaining points of the game came from the boot of Danny Brough, as he kicked a penalty from in front of the sticks to hand the Giants the two points. 

Full-Time: Widnes Vikings 16-28 Huddersfield Giants

Widnes: Hanbury; Marsh, Inu, Runciman, Chamberlain; Mellor, Gilmore; Burke, Heremaia, Chapelhow, Dean, Whitley, Houston. Replacements: Johnstone, Olbison, Wilde, Wellington.

Huddersfield: Mamo; McGillvary, Gaskell, Wood, Murphy; Rankin, Brough; Ikahihifo, O'Brien, Ta'ai, Roberts, Ferguson, Hinchcliffe. Replacements: Leeming, Clough, Dickinson, Mellor.

Widnes Vikings 16-28 Huddersfield Giants widnesvikings.co.uk