Match Report

Saturday 7th April 2018, 18:00
Super League - Round: 10

Hull Kingston Rovers

(10) 31

Hull Kingston Rovers

Widnes Vikings

12 (2)

Widnes Vikings

5 Tries

Justin Carney 2, Andrew Hefernan, Danny Tickle, James Greenwood,


Tries 2

Ryan Ince, Joe Mellor,

5 Goals

Ryan Shaw 5,


Goals 2

Ed Chamberlain 2,

1 D Goals

Danny McGuire,


D Goals 0


Attendance: 7,260  Official: J Child  Venue: KCOM Craven Park

Full Time Report

Justin Carney scored two tries as Hull Kingston Rovers ended their three-game losing streak in the Betfred Super League with a 31-12 win against Widnes Vikings.

Carney's efforts book-ended a five-try display from Rovers, who raced clear of the Vikings in the last 20 minutes.

Ed Chamberlain's penalty gave Widnes the lead but Carney collected Danny McGuire's high kick to score the game's first try.

Three Widnes players were forced off through injury in the first period, which ended with the score 10-2 after Andrew Heffernan exploited a gap on the left side of the visitors' defence and Ryan Shaw added the conversion.

But Widnes responded strongly early in the second half, with tries from Ryan Ince and Joe Mellor and a Chamberlain goal giving them the lead.

A Shaw penalty levelled the game before the hosts took charge. Danny Tickle crossed against his former club, McGuire landed a drop goal and James Greenwood touched down, before Carney rounded off victory by finishing off Maurice Blair’s 40-metre break.

Widnes coach Denis Betts confirmed Keanan Brand had suffered a broken leg.

He said: "I feel really bad for Keanan, he makes his debut and breaks his leg, quite badly too. It’s not a nice start for him after only two touches of the ball.

"We had to reshuffle with the injuries so to come out and show some energy like we did was telling. 

“The score doesn’t reflect the effort we put in.

“But we ran out of steam. 

Hull KR coach Tim Sheens said: "Widnes fell apart with their injuries which helped us and I feel for Denis.

"It was an important game for us, in real terms it was a must-win game.

We had to win it and we were playing like that too as we were a bit scratchy, pushing things and not quite getting things right."