Match Report

Thursday 22nd March 2018, 19:45
Super League - Round: 7

Widnes Vikings

(6) 24

Widnes Vikings

Salford Red Devils

16 (10)

Salford Red Devils

4 Tries

Chris Dean, Krisnan Inu, Greg Burke, Aaron Heremaia,


Tries 2

Craig Kopczak, Weller Hauraki,

4 Goals

Krisnan Inu 4,


Goals 4

Rob Lui 4,

0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: B Thaler  Venue: Halton Stadium

Full Time Report

Widnes Vikings bounced back from successive Betfred Super League defeats with a 24-16 victory over Salford Red Devils at the Halton Stadium.

The Red Devils held a slender lead heading into the final 10 minutes but late tries from Greg Burke and Aaron Heremaia secured Widnes' third win of the season.

Salford remain on four points after they failed to build on last week's impressive success against Hull FC.

Craig Kopczak's try put the visitors ahead and they went into half-time with a 10-6 lead despite Chris Dean's converted effort.

Krisnan Inu went over while Lama Tasi was in the sin bin to nudge Widnes ahead but Salford responded through Weller Hauraki's try and Robert Lui's fourth goal to go 16-12 in front.

The Vikings finished strongly, though, to pick up a vital two points ahead of the Easter period.

Widnes head coach Denis Betts said: “I’m really pleased with the points. We won the game on the back of resilience.

“We aren’t a big side at the moment as we have a lot of guys on the sidelines and they are a big team and we got through it.

“Resilience is built on environment and culture. It was just about us sticking in the fight and defending our line. We have been in strong positions in the past and not managed to get the win. Tonight we did.”

Salford boss Ian Watson said: “I’m really disappointed tonight, especially after the 65 minutes we have put in.

“We were in control up and until that point. They got the rewards for doing the right things in the conditions.

“I’m just disappointed and frustrated as we felt we had the game won. We were in control.”