Match Report

Friday 2nd March 2018, 20:00
Super League - Round: 4

Wigan Warriors

(4) 32

Wigan Warriors

Widnes Vikings

16 (16)

Widnes Vikings

6 Tries

Joe Burgess, Ryan Sutton, Thomas Leuluai, Liam Farrell, Sam Tomkins, Tom Davies,


Tries 2

Matt Whitley, Stefan Marsh,

4 Goals

Morgan Escare, Sam Tomkins 3,


Goals 4

Tom Gilmore 4,

0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: R Hicks  Venue: DW Stadium

Full Time Report

Wigan Warriors produced a stunning second-half display as they came from 16 points behind to beat Widnes Vikings 32-16.

Tries from Matt Whitley and Stefan Marsh and four goals from Tom Gilmore put the visitors 16-0 up after 27 minutes, with Joe Burgess' try Wigan's sole score in the first half.

But the Warriors ran in five unanswered tries after the break as they recorded a third win from four Betfred Super League games, with Sam Tomkins adding three goals and Morgan Escare kicking another.

Tries from Ryan Sutton and Thomas Leuluai pulled the hosts to within two points and they took the lead for the first time when Liam Farrell ran the perfect line to go over.

With six minutes left Tomkins raced 60 metres to score and Tom Davies added a try in the closing stages as Wigan overturned a 16-point deficit to win by the same margin.

The comeback earned Wigan's players praise from coach Shaun Wane.

He said: "We did some defending in the early part of the first-half and the next minute we are 16-0 down. For the players to come out of that hole was really impressive.

“The message at half-time seemed to sink in and they managed to turn it around. They went back out in the second half and did what we have been practising, they fixed it and performed really well.

“Tommy (Leuluai) was very ill throughout the week, he has hardly trained. So I thought he was outstanding, he’s really toughed it out today. He was touch and go whether he was playing."

Widnes coach Denis Betts said: "If only they gave points out for different halves. We showed some energy, but we gave Wigan too many chances. You can’t give them that much ball and expect not to run out of energy.

“We worked really hard, but we just ran out of steam. We got bullied in the second half, we got run over the top of and got battered. They taught us a lesson in the second half."