Match Report

Sunday 2nd July 2017, 15:00
Super League - Round: 2

Wigan Warriors

(16) 28

Wigan Warriors

Widnes Vikings

12 (6)

Widnes Vikings

5 Tries

Sean O'Loughlin, Tony Clubb, Lewis Tierney, Joe Burgess 2,


Tries 2

Lloyd White 2,

4 Goals

George Williams 4,


Goals 2

Lloyd White 2,

0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance: 12,758  Official: S Mikalauskas  Venue: DW Stadium

Full Time Report

Joe Burgess scored two late tries as Wigan Warriors edged past Widnes Vikings to end their worst league run in more than a century.

Shaun Wane's team were back at the DW Stadium for the first time in over a month and they made it a winning return to end their eight-match winless streak in the Betfred Super League.

Captain Sean O'Loughlin opened the scoring for Wigan before Tony Clubb crossed on his comeback after having a kidney removed.

The Warriors appeared to be cruising to a welcome victory when Lewis Tierney went over with half-time approaching, but Lloyd White scored either side of the break to make it 16-12.

White's second try set up a nervy final quarter but a long pass from Sam Tomkins put Burgess over before the winger touched down Liam Farrell's grubber kick to secure Wigan's first league win since April.

Wigan head coach Shaun Wane said: "I'm happy with the win but I'm frustrated with some of the errors. If we keep hold of the ball and stop the unforced errors we could have won by a bigger margin. That's what we need to do, we need to be a bit more ruthless and we weren't that today.

"Our defence was much improved - they got two tries from poor defensive errors - but apart from that we defended really well.

"We have made massive improvements but we can't mask over it. I don't see it as a monkey off our back. I have got a fairly fit team, we have beaten Warrington to reach the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup, we have drawn against Huddersfield who are a very good team and we have beaten Widnes who are on the back of a few wins.

"You lot (the press) create that monkey, I don't feel that at all, not one bit if I'm honest."

On Clubb's return, Wane added: "It's great for him to come back from that. It's unknown territory for us, a bloke having a major organ out, we never knew how long he'd be out. But we should have known with him because he's a winner, a competitor and that's why we love him.”  

Widnes head coach Denis Betts said: "We played all right. At 16-12 with 10 minutes to go it's a pretty tight game. We have come back into it. 

"We defended our goal-line well, we've got to complete a bit better and be smarter with the ball, but other than that we didn't look out of our depth.

"I thought we had a chance to win that game but we didn't have enough composure or cutting edge to be able to do that."