Match Report

Friday 9th June 2017, 20:00
Super League - Round: 18

St Helens

(10) 26

St Helens

Widnes Vikings

10 (0)

Widnes Vikings

5 Tries

Mark Percival, Regan Grace, Alex Walmsley, Ryan Morgan, Theo Fages,


Tries 2

Ryan Ince, Danny Craven,

3 Goals

Mark Percival 3,


Goals 1

Danny Craven,

0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: S Mikalauskas  Venue: Totally Wicked Stadium

Full Time Report

St Helens gained revenge over Widnes with a 26-10 Betfred Super League victory to leave the Vikings rooted to the bottom of the table.

The Vikings picked up only their second win of the season the last time the two sides met in April but Saints were in no mood to slip up again and scored five tries to run out easy winners.

Mark Percival, who bagged his 500th point for the club, got the Saints rolling as he crossed after 22 minutes as Regan Grace sprinted through a gap and sent the ball inside to Percival to power over.

The Grace-Percival combination linked up again five minutes later as a cut-out pass reached the electric winger Grace, who plunged over the whitewash.

Ryan Ince got one back for Widnes as Matt Whitley delivered a neat pass which the rookie winger finished off well, but the lead was soon restored as Alex Walmsley touched down.

Ryan Morgan scored a brilliant try after fine work from Jonny Lomax and despite Danny Craven’s second, a further try for Theo Fages made sure of a comfortable win for the hosts. 

Widnes boss Denis Betts said: “We got beaten by a better side and sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say that. We just didn’t have enough to get over the line.

“It’s disappointing as we had turned a corner in the last month or so. We have started getting bodies back but today I hold my hands up and say they played better than us. I don’t want to make excuses. We just got beaten by a side who played particularly well today. They manufactured two quality tries in the second half.”

Justin Holbrook added: “I was really happy with that performance. I thought the majority of it was very good. The first 25 minutes tested us. We were playing a dangerous side in Widnes and we put ourselves under pressure but we turned them away."