Match Report

Sunday 7th May 2017, 15:00
Super League - Round: 13

Widnes Vikings

(22) 22

Widnes Vikings

Hull FC

33 (4)

Hull FC

4 Tries

Chris Houston, Rhys Hanbury, Patrick Ah Van 2,


Tries 6

Jansin Turgut, Jamie Shaul 2, Carlos Tuimavave, Albert Kelly, Danny Washbrook,

3 Goals

Tom Gilmore 3,


Goals 4

Marc Sneyd 4,

0 D Goals



D Goals 1

Marc Sneyd,

Attendance: 5,082  Official: G Hewer  Venue: Select Security Stadium Halton

Full Time Report

Jamie Shaul scored two tries in a man-of-the-match performance as Hull FC overturned a 22-point deficit to stun Widnes Vikings in Betfred Super League.

Widnes made a fast start and were in total control with half-time approaching, only for Hull to cross just before the interval and then immediately after to spark a remarkable comeback.

The 33-22 victory moved Hull back up to second while Widnes remain rooted to the foot of the table after their 10th defeat of the season.

Early tries from Chris Houston and Rhys Hanbury rocked the Black and Whites before Patrick Ah Van's double left the visitors staring down the barrel of a shock defeat.

Jansin Turgut crucially crossed for his first Hull try on the stroke of half-time and Lee Radford's side were right back in it when Shaul went over in the first minute of the second half.

Quickfire converted tries from Carlos Tuimavave and Albert Kelly brought Hull level before Shaul raced clear to complete the turnaround.

A Marc Sneyd drop goal put Hull two scores ahead and Danny Washbrook's late try put the seal on a memorable victory.

Radford said: "I'm pleased after that. We gave ourselves a really difficult job to do because of the start we made.  

"We were out-enthused in every department. Every energy indicator – we were second best in that first half. We showed the lads some clips at half-time why we were in the situation we were in.

“We needed something more and we needed some energy and we eventually got it.

“We got the response and we found a way to win. We wanted to get Albert carrying the ball a bit more and he managed to do that. We could have made it even easier in the end as we bombed some chances.

“The group know they are capable of comebacks like that but we don’t want to be doing that. We want to be on the front foot from the off."

Widnes head coach Denis Betts said: "It was a tale of two halves. If we had points for winning halves then we'd be in a lot better position. In these past few weeks we've won the first halves in games but not got anything out of them.

"It was the best 40 minutes of the year for us. Then we stopped doing everything. Our shape dropped, our talk dropped off. We had a great lead and energy but then don't turn up in the second half. 

"They have got some good players and we let them back in. Jamie Shaul, Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd and Carlos Tuimavave - we were chasing shadows.

"We are searching for that consistency in an 80-minute game. We are failing to put two halves together. I was buoyant in the first half and I have to take a positive in that."