Match Report

Friday 7th April 2017, 20:00
Super League - Round: 8

Wakefield Trinity

(12) 30

Wakefield Trinity

Widnes Vikings

4 (4)

Widnes Vikings

6 Tries

Bill Tupou, Tom Johnstone, Dean Hadley 2, Scott Grix, Craig Huby,


Tries 1

Corey Thompson,

3 Goals

Liam Finn 3,


Goals 0


0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: C Kendall  Venue: The Beaumont Legal Stadium

Full Time Report

Wakefield Trinity registered a third straight Betfred Super League victory as they beat Widnes 30-4 to send the Vikings to the foot of the table.

Bill Tupou went over as early as the second minute and Tom Johnstone finished a move involving Liam Finn and Scott Grix after quarter of an hour.

Corey Thompson grounded Tom Gilmore's kick at the other end, but Johnstone offloaded for Dean Hadley to put Wakefield 12-4 ahead at half-time.

Johnstone broke down the wing to send Grix over nine minutes after half-time, and David Fifita set-up Hadley's second try.

Craig Huby charged onto a short pass to score and add to Widnes’ woes. And the visitors’ night was summed up when Chris Houston was deemed to have knocked on while trying ground a bobbling Mellor grubber.

Finn also kicked three goals as Trinity cemented their place in the top eight.

Chris Chester said Wakefield's victory would set them up perfectly for their Good Friday showdown with Super League leaders Castleford Tigers.

He said: "We'll go there full of confidence although they are running red hot at the moment.

"They are attacking very well at the moment - but we are playing well ourselves. They (Castleford) have not got many flaws.

"Twelve months ago you might have said the defence wasn't as good as the attack yet they've turned that around but we'll go their with a plan.

"Both teams are on fire and I'm sure the fans will turn out in numbers for the game."

The Vikings had claimed their first win of the season just six days beforehand at Leigh Centurions and the turn of fortune left coach Denis Betts bemused.

"It was half a step forward and then three or four jumps back," he said.

"We were poor and beaten soundly tonight and I'm really disappointed.

"It's probably one of the worst 80-minute efforts - it was a tough night. We've trained well this week but we lacked energy."