Match Report

Sunday 10th April 2016, 15:00
Super League - Round: 10

Widnes Vikings

(18) 24

Widnes Vikings

Castleford Tigers

34 (10)

Castleford Tigers

4 Tries

Patrick Ah Van, MacGraff Leuluai, Corey Thompson, Lloyd White,


Tries 6

Denny Solomona 3, Ryan Boyle, Luke Gale, Paul McShane,

4 Goals

Chris Bridge 4,


Goals 5

Luke Gale 5,

0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance: 5,081  Official: J Cobb  Venue: Select Security Stadium Halton

Full Time Report

A Denny Solomona hat-trick saw Castleford Tigers secure a 34-24 First Utility Super League win over Widnes Vikings at the Select Security Stadium.

Solomona's contribution was the highlight of a magnificent comeback by the Tigers - they found themselves 18-0 down after 20 minutes - as, superbly led by Luke Gale, Castleford largely dominated the final hour of the contest.

Widnes' start came courtesy of tries from Patrick Ah Van, MacGruff Leuluai and Corey Thompson and it looked like the Vikings were sitting pretty, but the Tigers reminded them otherwise when Jake Webster put Solomona over for his first try.

Just two minutes later Solomona was in again as he outflanked the Widnes defence and both sides had further opportunities to add to their first-half tally but they went into the dressing rooms at 18-10.

Within three minutes of the restart Solomona completed his hat-trick from a superb Webster offload and Gale added the extras.

The Tigers hit the front for the first time on 52 minutes when Ryan Boyle rumbled over after Solomona had tapped back a bomb near the Widnes line, with the goal making it 22-18.

Having been creator-in-chief Gale got on the scoresheet as he dummied his way over for a self-converted try which gave his side a 28-18 advantage.

Widnes dummy-half Lloyd White tricked his way through with eight minutes remaining for a try which Chris Bridge goaled to set up an exciting finish but it was the Tigers who closed it out when Paul McShane crossed from the play-the-ball for the clinching six-pointer.

Widnes boss Denis Betts said: "After the first five or 10 minutes we just went a little bit soft on ourselves. We were 12-0 up but I was still seeing things in us that weren't strong.

"There was a bit of ill-discipline and areas of our game where we gave them field-position too easily. They had nothing to lose and they came back. It was a massively disappointing day.

"We get 18 points up and Joe Mellor gets away down the sideline but effectively bombs a try. Defensively we were slack from the start. We just didn't control the ruck right through to the end of their sets."

Castleford head coach Daryl Powell said: "I've rarely seen a changing room as buzzing at half-time with the players just talking about the game.

"They felt they had every chance of winning it, you could just sense it. We just needed to tidy our game up but at 18-0 it looked quite difficult to do.

"There's an immense amount of character in the team and the response today to being 18-0 down showed great determination to come out the other side when you're in a tough patch."