Match Report

Thursday 10th March 2016, 20:00
Super League - Round: 5

Widnes Vikings

(24) 46

Widnes Vikings

Hull FC

6 (6)

Hull FC

9 Tries

Joe Mellor, Corey Thompson 2, Stefan Marsh 3, Rhys Hanbury, Kevin Brown, Matt Whitley,


Tries 1

Frank Pritchard,

5 Goals

Rhys Hanbury 5,


Goals 1

Marc Sneyd,

0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance: 4,735  Official: R Silverwood  Venue: Select Security Stadium Halton

Full Time Report

Surprise leaders Widnes Vikings consolidated top spot in First Utility Super League with a nine-try rout of shell-shocked Hull FC at the Select Security Stadium.

Left winger Stefan Marsh scored a hat-trick and Australian right winger Corey Thompson grabbed two tries to take his tally to 10 in just six appearances in England in a 46-6 victory that condemned the Black and Whites to a third successive defeat.

The architect of the Vikings' fifth win out of six matches was skipper Kevin Brown, who is enjoying the form of his career to further press his claims for an England recall.

Brown capped a fine performance with a try early in the second half while Joe Mellor, Rhys Hanbury and Matt Whitley also crossed as Widnes continued their impressive start to the campaign.

Frank Pritchard had given Hull an early lead but it was one-way traffic thereafter.

Hull coach Lee Radford admitted he and his coaching staff were thrown out of the dressing room by his players following the heavy defeat.

"We simply capitulated and it's my responsibility as a coach," he said.

"I can only apologise to our supporters who came all this way and sang all the way through. It's also my job to try fix it up and that's what I'll try to do.

"As a rugby player you're told to compete and that stopped being a competition after 20 minutes.

"It's the most difficult defeat to take for sure (during his tenure). To have no fightback was embarrassing and the staff have just been kicked out of the changing room by the players.

"I've no idea why they asked us to leave, they just asked us to - it's never happened in my career before."

Betts revealed that inspirational captain Brown had been on a drip 24 hours before the match after suffering from flu. 

"He was massively dehydrated and his blood count was down," Betts said. "We had to get him hydrated to play.

"He's the leader of this group and he was fantastic for us. I say it every week. He's never under-performed since he's been here. He makes decisions on the hoof that only a good player can make."

He added: "I wasn't expecting to score that many points. We rode our luck early.

"The players were excited by the team Hull put out. They were excited by the challenge and they rose to it."