Match Report

Friday 4th March 2016, 20:00
Super League - Round: 4

Widnes Vikings

(22) 30

Widnes Vikings

Hull Kingston Rovers

16 (12)

Hull Kingston Rovers

5 Tries

Rhys Hanbury, Joe Mellor 2, Corey Thompson 2,


Tries 3

Maurice Blair, Thomas Minns, Ryan Shaw,

5 Goals

Rhys Hanbury 5,


Goals 2

Ryan Shaw 2,

0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance: 5,013  Official: G Hewer  Venue: Select Security Stadium Halton

Full Time Report

Widnes Vikings recovered from a sluggish start to move back to the top of First Utility Super League against a depleted Hull KR.

Widnes were 12-10 down six minutes before the break, but had too much pace for plucky Rovers, who are still without a win this season.

Widnes rallied to lead 22-12 at half-time, with man-of-the match Stefan Marsh and Corey Thompson each crossing twice for the Vikings, with their other try from Rhys Hanbury who added five goals.

A darting burst from George Lawler allowed Maurice Blair to put Rovers into a seventh-minute lead.

Chris Bridge sent Thompson racing down the wing and his inside pass found Hanbury, who converted his own touchdown.

Joe Mellor fired Widnes ahead for the first time when he shot through a gap to make it 10-6 after a 35-yard burst.

Rovers sub Thomas Minns brushed off Marsh to edge his side ahead 12-10 after half an hour.

The lead changed hands again with Mellor taking a return pass from Chris Dean to notch his second try.

Mellor immediately hit Rovers again with his burst allowing Bridge to send Thompson over for his seventh try of the season with Hanbury's goal stretching the advantage to 22-12 at the break.

Bridge and Mellor then engineered Thompson's second try soon after the restart with Hanbury's conversion making it 28-12 and putting Widnes in firm control. 

Afterwards Widnes boss Denis Betts insisted there was more to come from his side.

"We scored some fantastic tries and we worked really hard,” he said.

"It was a good win in difficult conditions but there is still much more in us.

"It was one of those nights when we never really hit our straps but they were physical opponents and a lot of their young players stepped up to the mark.

"Joe Mellor was the best player on the pitch by a country mile and it's good for us to play scrappy at times and still win.

"You have to win games that are messy but it was a real physical battle."

Rovers officially announced the appointment of James Webster as interim coach until the end of the season after the match.

Jamie Peacock, head of rugby, said at his post-match press conference: "There was a lot of effort and enthusiasm and we know what we can do.

"James is very astute, punches above his weight and understands the DNA of this club.

"It's a great opportunity for him but Willie Poching and David Hodgson will stay as assistants."