Match Report

Sunday 21st February 2016, 15:00
Super League - Round: 11

Salford Red Devils

(22) 28

Salford Red Devils

Widnes Vikings

20 (10)

Widnes Vikings

5 Tries

Justin Carney, Mark Flanagan 2, Greg Johnson, Josh Griffin,


Tries 4

Rhys Hanbury, Chris Houston, Stefan Marsh, Corey Thompson,

4 Goals

Michael Dobson 3, Gareth O'Brien,


Goals 2

Rhys Hanbury 2,

0 D Goals



D Goals 0


Attendance: 5,089  Official: P Bentham  Venue: A J Bell Stadium, Salford

Full Time Report

Salford Red Devils held off a spirited Widnes comeback to end the Vikings' 100 per cent start to the First Utility Super League season courtesy of a 28-20 victory at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Like they did against St Helens in their last outing, the Red Devils raced out of the blocks and led 22-0 after 32 minutes.

Justin Carney went over in the right-hand corner early on following back-to-back penalties and Mark Flanagan doubled the lead in the fifth minute, Michael Dobson converting both. 

Greg Johnson then touched down a grubber kick and Josh Griffin powered over to put Salford in control.

But the Vikings roared back and cut the gap to 12 points at half-time following quick tries from Rhys Hanbury and Chris Houston.

Stefan Marsh touched down following a break down the left and despite Corey Thompson's converted try setting up a tense last 10 minutes, Flanagan's second sealed the win.

Salford coach Ian Watson backed his side to continue defying the doubters, saying: "It was a very good win for us. We showed some real resilience in defence, but some of our goal-line defence was good and that got us our win.

"We are trying to learn and build on what we have done and we are now looking forward to Wigan.

"It was important that we backed up from our win at Saints. We need to be a bit smarter on a few things, but overall we have to be happy as we have beaten a very good Widnes side today."

Widnes boss Denis Betts admitted his side were blown away by Salford's fast start.

He said: “They came out the blocks pretty quickly and we knew it would be a physical challenge and we didn't match it.

"They have backed up a great performance last week with another one today. It’s very difficult for us when we make the start we did.

“There were a few decisions that went our way and a few that didn't, but we didn't do ourselves any justice or give ourselves a good enough chance."