Widnes Vikings, Select Security Stadium Halton, Lower House Lane, Widnes, Cheshire, WA8 7DZ
The Select Security Stadium Halton
The Select Security Stadium Halton stands proudly on the site of the old Widnes ground, Naughton Park.
Widnes Rugby League Football Club had a number of grounds before settling at Lowerhouse Lane in 1895. The tragic death of their club secretary, Tom Naughton in 1932, led to the ground being renamed Naughton Park as a gesture of the team's appreciation.
Naughton Park became the best known Rugby League ground in the country due to the success of the 'Chemics'.
It was agreed that Halton Council in partnership with the Widnes Vikings would build a new stadium on the existing site. This stadium would provide a multi-purpose complex including a social club, conference facilities, recreational facilities and catering/function facilities. This would be the new home venue for Widnes Vikings. The stadium was officially opened on 2 November 1997 following the completion of phase 1 of a multi-million pound redevelopment of the old Naughton Park site.
On 29 January 1999 Halton Borough Council took over responsibility for the entire Stadium, both financially and managerially. This was necessary as the joint venture companies arrangements were not performing as expected.
This additional stand not only increased the capacity of the Stadium, it also provided a table tennis centre of excellence to Regional standard, a health and fitness facility, a créche and a state of the art injury clinic.
The Stadium reached completion with the opening of the East Stand in Spetember 2005. The Select Securities Stadium Halton is an all-seater Stadium which has a capacity of 13,500. It has also had the honour to have staged national finals and international fixtures.
The Halton Stadium was renamed to the "Stobart Stadium Halton" at the Fans Forum on the 6th December 2007. In June 2013 the Stadium was renamed the "Select Securities Stadium Halton"
Widnes RL Museum
The Widnes Rugby League Museum is an impressive facility, situated in the East Stand of the Stobart Stadium Halton. It was originally opened in 2007 and is home to a wonderful collection of memorabilia much of it donated by members of the public, and displays a fine history of Widnes RLFC.
For more information, please contact museum curator Debbie Townsend on: 07968 865596.